To unlock your phone from T-Mobile, you’ll first need to check if it’s eligible for unlock. Sign into your T-Mobile account, click the Accounts page and choose your line. Then, click “Check Device Unlock Status.” You’ll notice text indicating if it’s eligible or ineligible under the device image.
Your device needs to meet the following requirements from T-Mobile to be eligible for unlocking:
- It has to be sold by T-Mobile.
- It can’t be reported blocked, stolen or lost.
- It has to be on an account in good standing.
- If you’re phone is on monthly payment plan (postpaid), it needs to be fully paid off and activated for at least 40 days.
- If you’re phone is prepaid, it has to have been active for at least 365 days or on an account that has paid more than $100 in renewals. It also can’t have been unlocked more than 2 times in the last 12 months.
T-Mobile will automatically unlock it automatically within 2 business days once you’re eligible or, for devices that can’t be unlocked remotely, send a notification to let you know how to unlock your device.
Most Android devices can be unlocked from the Settings or Device Unlock app once they’re eligible. For iPhone, T-Mobile requires you to contact them to submit an unlock request.
See the latest version of T-Mobile’s device unlock policies or read their guide to unlocking your phone.